Friday, March 23, 2007

How would you say it?

Do stars and wars rhyme for you?
To my ear they are perfect rhymes.

But apparently for most of the world
wars rhymes with s'mores.

S'mores? Those delicious little
hot sandwiches made by
squishing a marshmallow and
a square of chocolate
between two graham crackers
and heating them
over a campfire?

Under the stars?
Forgetting the wars?

Well, how would you say it?
Like me?

Or like all those
other people, who rhyme
wars with scores and stores and doors?

5 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm back! I'm going to post on my blog now because it is... SPRING BREAK!!!! I'm glad that you've continued blogging and have posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mary,

    Loved your poem! It's a strange coincidence because I'm currently reading Bill Bryson's "Mother Tongue" -- a book about the eccentricities of the English Language and the many peculiarities of spelling and pronunciation. It's a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Justin, I've been reading you! Thanks for the comment.

    Richie, I think I may order Bill Bryson's "Mother Tongue," since you like it. Thanks a mil for posting the comment on my little couplet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary: If you are interested in the English language it's a fascinating book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Richie, I've found it at Amazon.com.

    I'm definitely interested in the English language!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete