Thursday, June 3, 2010

Who Can Tell Me Its Name?

I wish I knew the name of this plant. It's part of an ornamental flower bed -- the long, slender leaves are very profuse, making a striking green appearance with the showy flowers crowding among them. It's a banked bed that extends back several feet to the decorative wall, curving around it in a gentle arc of five or six feet. The plant is obviously a cultivar, but I haven't been able to identify it yet.

Unknown Yellow Flower, Second View

Unknown Yellow Flower, Third View

I put a cropped closeup of it on my other blog, reckon i should tell this? a few days ago, just because I think it's such a beautiful color and form, but, now, not knowing its name is beginning to nag at me.

Hope someone will see it here and be able to identify it for me.

4 comments:

  1. Looks rather like a double daffodil, but it also looks something like a daylily.

    Glad I could help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, David. I made some more photos of it early this morning, from a vantage point further away, showing all the foliage. If it is a daffodil, it's one that blooms rather late in the year. If it's a daylily, it's unusual in having rounded petals. But either is a possibility, as you say. I'll upload today's photos in a new post after a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks to me as if it might be a member of the freesia family ... the leaf, and the shape of the head of the stem behind the flower ... (?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Celia, many thanks. Yes, it's very like the freesia photos I found just now with a google search. Matches up with them a lot better than with daylilies or daffodils. When I get time, I'm going to call the university landscaping department and see whether I can find out exactly what they've planted at these locations.

    ReplyDelete