Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Unexpected Encounter




On my walk this morning, as I rounded the corner, I saw a neighbor who lives on the street that parallels mine to the west, out walking his Alaskan husky, whose name is Husky.

All summer we would happen, from time to time, to be walking at dawn's first light, and we could usually  chat for a second or two, though Husky would always be eager to get on with his exercise. I longed for a picture of the beautiful dog, but there was never time to ask for one, with Husky straining at the leash, longing to continue with his morning constitutional.

Today, just at sunrise, he paused to mark a bush, and I captured two shots of him. Only his flank in the first--but in the second, a slightly out of focus portrait.  

It was the best I could do. By the time the view screen had faded, 
he and his master 
were half a block away.

I walked on in the opposite direction and began the project I had in mind for my walk. I plan to photograph the old houses along the residential streets that are my usual route for my own morning exercise. Some of them have very beautiful architecture and lovely landscaped front yards.

Along with Husky, my picture for today is a stone-faced cottage.

4 comments:

  1. Nice! I have an American Eskimo (sigh..SAME DIFFERENCE). I was just wondering- what does YOUR house look like? Mine is creepy... =P Or do you have any pets? (Not that I'm a stalker or anything...I guarantee it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, jean-jacques and Justin!

    Glad you lke my neighbor's dog. Justin, why don't you upload a picture of your Eskimo to your blog? You could illustrate some comments on the history of the Inuit peoples (the Eskimo peoples' name for themselves). Their history is quite as ancient as that of the Greeks and the Romans.

    I would like to show a picture of my house, but I think it would be wiser if I continue to protect my privacy a bit.

    Instead, I'm going to upload a photo I made on my walk this morning of two other houses under their beautiful old trees.

    My house is similarly situated under beautiful old trees, though it is itself old and the white paint is peeling off the porch supports.

    I didn't see Husky this morning. I would dearly love to take some more photos of him, though.

    My pets are feline. Their names are M&M and Thistle.

    I'll let you guess how they got those names. :)

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. :D

    Glad you know your internet privacy Mary!

    ReplyDelete