Friday, January 19, 2007

Linking Around the World

On this winter morning, after 
hurricane-force winds have battered 
the UK and much of Europe, I am 
pondering the way I am linked 
emotionally now to so many people 
whom I have never met in person.

I am waiting for people that I know in
England, in the Netherlands, in
Germany, and in other northwestern
European places, to check in on the
mailing lists where I read them.

It's a sort of identification that's
closer than the empathy one feels
with complete strangers when
their troubles are reported in
the news media.

But there would be little I could
do to help, if any of these e-mail
acquaintances and friends were
coping with serious problems in
the aftermath of those flooding tides
and hurricane force winds.

I was equally helpless when
Hurricane Celia all but destroyed
my home town in 1970, when my
mother was still living there.

And yet, she managed just fine
without me. Her house stood, her
gas stove was working, and she
was industriously feeding all her
neighbors who were not so lucky.

So, one trusts in others'
capabilities to look after
themselves. And enjoys their on-line companionship,
when they do write in, from
time to time.

And now it's almost dawn here, and
my little black cat is taking an after-
breakfast nap behind me,
while I savor my incredible good
luck to have her as a housemate
and to be blessed with this
fine glass of orange juice in a
warm house when the outdoor
temperatures reflect the aftermath
of a passing cold front here, also.

 

2 comments:

  1. Hello Mary,

    Yes it's wonderful that the internet really allows us to be in touch with people around the globe. Conversely, it does also mean that we feel natural disasters in other countries more intensely. Maybe this is a good thing, though, as we can avoid the desensitizing effect that TV tends to have...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right, Richie. And it's so nice to find you here, reading me with so much understanding.

    ReplyDelete