For instance, the first vote I cast
(That was in Tennessee)
Was for a country music star.
No, his name wasn't Willie. It was Roy.
And I thought he would be
A pretty good gov'nor for that state --
But he lost.
And then there was that boy
Who walked me home when I was twelve
And by the porch step leaned in close,
To offer me a kiss.
I pulled away and said good night
As quickly as I could. He never tried again.
Well, really, we were both too young.
And all my cats that got run over
In the past by various cars.
It wasn't the custom, at the time,
To keep cats in the house.
But I am older, by a lot, and my own woman now.
And my two cat companions never will set foot outdoors.
I've learned my lesson.
©Mary R. Bull, July 15, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment