Recent showers have finally turned my lawn green again, and yesterday afternoon a brave little dandelion and a scattering of tiny yellow blossoms delighted my eye as I walked down the driveway to pick up the afternoon mail.
Initially I thought of them as clover, because of the appearance of the leaves, but a knowledgeable friend has pointed out my mistake to me and identified these as yellow wood sorrel. A good description of the plant, with its scientific name, Oxalis stricta, is given here.
The dandelion plant, under a holly tree, was conspicuous with these two bright flower heads, even though they were only about half an inch in diameter -- much smaller than usual, on account of the prolonged summer drought.
Sunday, September 25, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Summer's returned here for a few days and the dandelions are getting their second wind, which means the wind's getting their myriadth dandelion seed! I love their yellowness, though.
ReplyDeleteCelia, I hope you can keep summer for a long time and enjoy the yellowness of the dandelions where you are. The maintenance man mowed all mine down yesterday, but I hope to see more pop up next week. We're in a brief cool spell, but promised highs in the 80s again by midweek, here.
ReplyDelete