Friday, May 14, 2010

Friends Who Grow Roses

"Veteran's Honor" and "Tiffany" -- two roses given to me recently by a friend who likes to grow roses:

Veteran's Honor and Tiffany

She brought them to a garden-club meeting on May 7. This is the oldest garden club in Nashville, with about a dozen members, mostly elderly, ranging in age from 50 to 100 years old.

Now, I no longer garden, and never did grow roses. But when I was invited to join last Christmas, I accepted, just for the company of these old friends who meet about half a dozen times a year in one another's homes, share sandwiches, and invite a speaker on an interesting topic. So far, I've heard about birds, trees, and roses. Interesting tidbit: "Veteran's Honor" is descended from "Mr.Lincoln," another popular red rose.

2 comments:

  1. What lovely, velvety petals. Summer must be on its way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely, velvety petals. Summer must be on its way!

    ReplyDelete