After watching a television interview with Calvin Borel, immediately after he rode Street Sense to a spectacular win on May 5, 2007, I wrote a little verse in his honor, but it does not begin to express my admiration for his achievements in his long career. In that interview he honored his Cajun roots, and I focused on that in my homage to him.
And this afternoon, holding my breath, I watched him repeat the strategy of his 2007 race, in a stunning 50-to-1 upset, riding Mine That Bird.
Later, still mounted, he pulled a rose from the ceremonial floral blanket that had been draped over Mine That Bird's neck, and then he reminisced briefly about his parents, gave credit to all who'd helped him along the way, and praised his good horse.
Here's my 2007 poem to him:
At the Derby (Kentucky) there's fame
For the victors, and all now acclaim
The great jockey who won:
Louisiana's fine son
Is a Cajun who honors the name.
Now it's 2009 and on to the Preakness, the second jewel of thoroughbred racing's Triple Crown, and I wish both Calvin Borel and the beautiful little horse good luck.
Saturday, May 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment