Flag Day is celebrated
every year in the
USA on June 14--
which fell on a Thursday
this year, and
I wrote a limerick that day,
which I'm putting
further down in today's
Mary's Musings' post.
The original design of
the grand old flag of my country
was the work of our first president,
George Washington. It consisted of a
circle of 13 stars on
a rectangular blue field--to
represent the thirteen states
which had banded together
in 1776--and 13 alternating
horizontal red and white
stripes.
Today there are 50
stars on the blue field,
with the red and white
stripes arranged
as they were from
the beginning.
To a patriotic heart
such as mine,
it is thrilling to
see its folds catch
the breeze.
BANNER
My banner is truly star-spangled,
As it hangs from a staff that is angled.
It's a flag that I please
To display in the breeze--
Would George Washington find it new-fangled?
©June 14, 2007 by Mary, of Mary's Musings
Saturday, June 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Yay! Nice limerick! Keep up the good work!
ReplyDelete